Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sol LeWitt



I crossed the wall drawings of Sol LeWitt a while ago, and they remain on my mind. Here is a great article released by sfmoma, which details LeWitt's ideas and process.

LeWitt stated the importance of reduction in the artistic process: "When an artist uses a conceptual form of art, it means that all of the planning and decisions are made beforehand and the execution is a perfunctory affair. The idea becomes the machine that makes the art." Supporting his idea that the thought is more important than the act, LeWitt rejects the notion of art as a unique and precious object. He often uses assistants to execute the works based upon his detailed instructions.

The above image is Wall Drawing #146, made with blue crayon. Call me crazy, but I totally want to do something similar to this on my wall.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home